Our Collecting Policy includes the following points:
- The museum will pursue a policy of active collecting through gift, bequest or purchase.
- Emphasis will be given to items which originate from and have a strong asssociation with the Tairawhiti region.
- A specialist area requiring further development will be our contemporary Maori art collection.
Some of the museum's collections include:
- Social history objects.
- Maori treasures (taonga Maori).
- Paper-based collections such as community archives, cards & postcards, maps, plans, theatrical programmes, research resources in our Research Centre.
- Fine Arts.
- Star of Canada wreck collection.
- Natural History.
- Oral history archive.
Click here for general section
Click here for fine art section
Click here for photography section